Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Prompt 1: Symbolism in Novels

Symbolism in writing yields powerful effects, albeit sometimes hidden in the text. It is left up to the viewer to decode the author's intentions. The novel I chose to do this prompt on is J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series, and the symbol I will explore in the essay is none other than the famous scar that Harry himself possesses.
Harry receives his scar when he was just a little child, despite knowing very little of it in the beginning of the series. He acknowledges the scar as a curse, that the scar is a reminder of her mother's death and Voldemort's triumph in taking his mother's life. However, the scar is more than just a reminder of death, but it stands for everything that Harry stands for. The scar is something like a badge of honor, proof that he has overcome a great struggle in his life. It also connects harry to both good and evil, as the scar, we learn later in the book, becomes the very tie between him and Voldemort. Through the scar, he is able to catch glimpses of Voldemort's intentions. It enables Harry to speak parseltongue, a power that is unique only to Voldemort. Thus, he begins to think that he his evil. As shown in the fifth book, The Order of the Phoenix, Harry has dreams of being a snake and attacking Ron's father. He questions himself and asks if he is the hero or the villain, but the true intention of the dream-like premonition was to reveal where Mr. Weasley's location was.
The scar could also be interpreted as a physical manifestation of all the hardships and damage that life deals. The scar is a constant reminder of how both his mother's love saved him and how Voldemort took her life away. It symbolizes Lily Potter's undying and limitless love for Harry.
Harry's scar is the main focus of the plots for the Harry Potter series. Through the scar, Harry is able to learn about both his past and his future, and in the end it serves as the key to defeating Voldemort. Because Lily had sacrificed her life to save Harry, he came to possess the scar while Voldemort lost his body. During the final act of the story comes the battle between good and evil, and Harry's scar is what ultimately defeats Voldemort. Because of Lily's selfless act of sacrifice, Harry experienced something that Voldemort had never possessed, which is love.
To Harry, the scar was at first nothing but a curse. It caused him pain and unwanted attention. But in reality, the scar is what makes Harry unique. It marks him as a "chosen" figure in the book. It defines who he is, just as Christ's scars made him an undying legend and Odysseus's scars help identify him as a tragic hero. But most importantly, the scar shows what Voldemort does not have. Love. Which is why he proved to be victorious in the end.

6 comments:

  1. So it was a good idea, and it was interesting that you didn't choose an AP book like everyone else did but it didn't have very good flow. It sort of rambled, like you had good points but you didn't invest a lot of time in justifying each point so it all sort of got mashed together. Also, the tone of your writing changed a lot mostly because, in my opinion- and don't hate!- the beginning sounded like you were trying to use a good vocabulary that you weren't comfortable using although maybe I'm wrong it just seemed like you were more passionate later on in the essay when you maybe weren't focusing on sounding impressive.
    -Camille

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jhay! :)
    I love Harry Potter! I really like how you defended and explained your stance and examples. It was really well written. Out of all the essays I read, this one was the most "flowing", had the best diction and voice. I loved it, major props to you.

    However, I think it is a bit hypocritical of you for writing about Harry Potter, while you discourage Kylie from writing about Twilight. They both are not on the AP list.
    But like I said you worded it and wrote it in a sense so that it did seem like it could be an AP exam essay. So good job Jhay! :)
    Konni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's pretty hard to hit points in depth when I had to do this all by memory, especially when there are SEVEN books to write about. Try recalling all the information and see if you can. Because I found it difficult. I don't see how I rambled or used vocabulary that I wasn't comfortable with since there's hardly any vocabulary here that is "impressive." I know you were trying to help but yeah. I just feel the need to defend myself. After all, her instructions were to not have any source information on hand as you wrote the essay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's because Edward himself isn't really a symbol, and if so, she didn't really back herself up well, not the fact that it wasn't an AP book. I was just trying to help and I'm sorry (ky) if I made myself look like an asshole. Haha. I'm just preparing for what I am gonna do when I actually become an english teacher... lmao. Sorry. Go attack my post if you guys want. :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job! I really liked the fact that you were able to incorperate all of the books, into the symbol of his scar on Harry's forehead. I too love Harry Potter and have read all the books growing up. It's funny to see that something most of us have grown up with, has such an important symbol in the storyline of Harry Potter. As stupid as this sounds I never acutally paid attention to the scar, I mainly just loved the storyline, but that includes that scar and what it represents. Dumb I know. But great job. I love your poems by the way. I like how you always think deeper into things :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jhay, DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT use Harry Potter for a prompt!!!! I'm serious! You will get a 0 on the Open Essay!!!!! You have to be sure to use books from the AP List when you do prompts or you will score very poorly. Also, you can't write about more than ONE novel/play in an essay!!! They are testing to see how well you know a work and the depth of your understanding. Don't do this, please!

    ReplyDelete